Making homemade granola is easy and very healthy. It is great for breakfast, sprinkled on yogurt or enjoyed as a topping with fruit parfait.
We like to make the basic recipe, and then each person put in the add ins when they eat it. This allows for different combinations every time we enjoy it.
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
4 cups rolled oats, not instant
1/3 cup wheat germ
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
Up to 2 cups total of add ins:
1. Preheat oven to 300°. Cover two cookie sheets with aluminum foil.
2. In saucepan melt butter. Add honey, brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Stir until sugar and honey have dissolved.
3. Add rolled oats, wheat germ and flax seed. Stir until completely combined.
4. Spread granola evenly on cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes then stir. Bake another 10 minutes.
5. Remove pans from oven and stir. Add coconut and almonds, if using. Return pans to oven and cook about 5 more minutes. Make sure it doesn’t burn.
6. Remove pans from oven and stir granola. Let granola cool completely. When cooled, add dried fruit, if using.
7. Store in airtight container for up to one month.